Travel Tips: What To Bring: Alaska
Alaska is quite northerly so be prepared for chilly weather even in summer.
Please remember that the WANDERBIRD is a traditional, informal vessel where comfort is the order of the day. Pack like you would for a camping trip, no ties or gowns required. Most people find they can pack all they need in one duffel bag.
Luggage should be limited to soft bags such as duffel bags for the ship. No rigid-frames or bags with metals wheels please. For air travel, baggage is limited to no more than and 60 lbs. per participant. and no single bag should exceed 45 lbs.
Gear List for Alaska Voyages:
- Soft duffel bag type luggage
- Comfortable, casual clothing (Layers work very well- simply plan accordingly for the time of year)
- Rubber soled shoes or sneakers (for beach combing, hiking, relaxing on deck)
- Shorts & bathing suit
- Warm hat or tuque
- Warm heavy wool sweater & thick fleece jacket (larger sizes for layering & two sweaters for very cold days)
- Rain gear (just in case)
- Sun screen & SPF lip balm
- Cameras, batteries & film (or memory card)
- Binoculars & wildlife guides (A good pair of binoculars will enhance your trip in many ways, particularly in viewing birds and other wildlife.)
- Musical instruments & song book
- Knitting, needlework, or a sketch book
- The Book That You Have Been Trying to Find Time to Read!
- Some stargzers enjoy sleeping on deck - they bring a sleeping bag
- A small flashlight or headlamp
- Water bottle
- Bug spray
- Sport sandals or water shoes
- Hat (ballcap or other sun hat for protection)
- Waterproof light backpack or fanny pack (for carrying your items ashore and keeping your arms free for embarking/disembarking)
- Technical quick dry clothing (Hiking & Kayaking Voyages)
- Multi-sport sneakers or comfortable hiking boots
- Hiking pants with zip off legs are helpful
- Alcoholic beverages of your choice
- Bring a hungry sailor’s appetite!
Shop for Gear at the Ship’s Store
Many items can be shipped to you in advance of your trip through our Ship’s Store in Belfast:
- Medium Weight Polar Fleece Jackets with Logo
- Waffle Weave Thermal Shirts with Logo (Good for Layering)
- Watch Caps with Logo
- Ladies Polar Fleece Vests with Logo (Good for Layering)
- Ladies Cotton Stretch Jerseys with Logo (Good for Layering)
- Lined Warm Jackets with Logo
- Baseball Caps with Logo (for keeping the sun out of your eyes)
- Canvas or Denim Sun Hats (for Boating)
- Canvas Book Bags with Logo
- Drinking Water Bottle with Logo
- Destination Specific Guides and Books
Items can be ordered directly from our Store in Belfast, Maine
by calling 1-866-SEA-BIRD or 1-207-338-3088
Luggage should be limited to soft bags such as duffel bags for the ship. No rigid-frames or bags with metals wheels please. For air travel, baggage is limited to no more than and 60 lbs. per participant, and no single bag should exceed 45 lbs.